Measuring marketing and e-commerce performance is pivotal to any business, and long are the days when the view that “I know that half of my advertising is wasted, I just don’t know which half” was OK!
That said, it wasn’t so long ago that the Director from one of my media agencies said in a moment of charming frankness “Something’s working – I just don’t know what.” I guess it was good that something was working!
Performance review methodology
I have experience across a wide range of measurements, tools and techniques used to evaluate acquisition and e-commerce efficiency and effectiveness, and can bring these to the table. A typical engagement looks like this:
- Understand the business model, including commercial objectives, historical spend and existing performance
- Collate existing expenditure data, income data, MI and associated operational data
- Distill this information into a format suitable for the audience(s)
- Present back the findings, measured against benchmarks as appropriate
- Propose recommendations for additional tools, techniques and processes for measuring performance
Why conduct a performance review?
There are many reasons for wanting an external review of marketing and e-commerce performance, not least of which can be differing internal viewpoints. Departments or teams within any business frequently have different objectives or perspectives, and sometimes an external perspective is required in order to move forwards. I can provide this, using my experience detailed below.
I have been measuring end to end marketing and business performance for 11 years, during which I have gained experience of the following tools and techniques:
- Business funnel performance from spend to sale, and leakage
- Web analytics – funnel measurement and website overview
- Web analytics implementation and media tagging
- Lead generation measurement
- Online conversion metrics – last click wins and channel attribution
- Online to offline (call centre) tracking through a variety of means
- Digital channel performance analysis
- Offline performance measurement – match-backs, custom URLs, custom phone numbers etc.
- ROPO (research online, purchase offline) measurement
- Some exposure to the principles of econometrics, however I’m not a practitioner
If you feel you need an independent review of your marketing and e-commerce, please get in touch.
If you’d like to know more about me or my experience, and how I can help your business, please get in touch. I’d love to chat.